Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Suspicious Minds

Endemic in the business world is the idea of CYA or cover your ass. Anything that may possibly go wrong should be blamed on someone else or at least you should obfuscate facts, lie and twist words, confuse the issues by bringing in irrelevant items and when all else fails, play the old this really hurts, how could you do this to me it’s so unfair, don’t you know the pressure I’m under and I’ve got soooo much work cards.

Today I received one e-mail from a colleague that demonstrated all of the above items. I think there was a record set here.

Another problem with the corporate world is the hidden agenda and the “what’s in it for me” (or my department or division etc.) attitude.

I go through this with every damn project I’ve ever worked on in my work-life.

Of course it is all utter bullshit.

It is difficult to find someone in the corporate world who is transparent. A simple this is what I’m trying to achieve, why I’m trying to achieve it and how I will go about achieving it and the help I’ll need from your department.

And even when you act in this clear and clean way, the doubtful and dubious minds will try to uncover your hidden agenda or expose whatever falsehoods you’ve surely strewn about.

They must transfer their own failings and miserable attitudes onto everyone they meet.

Gad, I’m sick of work today.

There I go, projecting again.

No comments: