Thursday, December 02, 2004

First Things First

Why a blog? There are thousands, if not millions out there already, covering just about every view point, idea and philosophy from Anarchy to Zoroastrianism. Why add another one to the glut?

Well, this is not about those other blogs. It’s about my blog.

So, to paraphrase Robert Fripp, define the personal aim and we may get some answers to the why. And, if I define the aim first, maybe I won’t have to write anything because I won’t want or need to. Heh, heh!

So again, why? What are my aims? Well I’m not entirely sure.

There is the setting of a personal task and sticking to it for a particular length of time to build discipline. This seems to be common in many religious orders, especially from a get away from every-day life and become a monk aspect but I don’t want to become a monk or hermit for that matter. Then again this particular personal task is difficult for me and takes me out of my comfort zone and daily habits so it could act like a monk’s vow of silence for example.

There is also the act of forcing myself to write daily to develop my craft. I could do that in private of course but simultaneously allowing myself to be held up to public ridicule if anyone actually reads this, operates like a sort of Buddhist pointed stick to wake me up from the mundane or habit forming or just plain bad writing. I see that I’ve used a few clichés or stock phrases already, but hey, I’m just starting out. Have pity. Please.

This is also a way of organizing my thoughts to help me organize my thoughts.

Now that the aims are out of the way…how the heck do I accomplish them…how the heck do I do this blog thing?

Man, this is going to be hard…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're finally taking the time to do this! You know who!