Friday, December 17, 2004

I'm So Glad

What is missing in life today is the freedom to create.

I’m listening to Keith Jarrett’s European Quartet. The live CD, Nude Ants to be exact. I’m struck by the absolute joy there is in the improvised sections of the songs. The concentration and sheer exhilaration in the spontaneous creation comes through clearly, even on my crappy computer speakers. The quartet is exultant.

When a job is completed in every day life there is also happiness and satisfaction but nothing as intense as what I’m sensing from these players.

It’s the closest these men will ever get to giving birth.

This will sound strange as this concert happened over 25 years ago but...I am happy for them. Somehow over the years, over the artificial processes of listening to this music, I am happy for them.

No comments: