Thursday, December 16, 2004

Patience, Patience

Someone pissed me off today. Severely.

I voiced my displeasure at something this person had written that concerned me. I actually took some time to calm down, understand why I was angry, put myself in the other persons' shoes and re-read the comments to try to understand the intention before I voiced my displeasure. I addressed the facts and the issues and did my best to keep emotion out of it. I wasn't entirely succesful but I tried very hard.

Now the person who pissed me off is trying to extend some sort of weird olive branch and I'm not sure I want to clasp it. Weird because it is extended with wrong assumptions and a lack of understanding of the real issues.

I am tired of turning the other cheek to this person. In a previous post I mentioned the corporate type that when they are called or challenged on an issue always try to CYA with various tactics. When all else fails they resort to the "I have personal issues that are affecting me, it's not my fault" retort. This is what is happening yet again with this person.

The question I have been thus far unable to answer is: How do I give up this unwillingness to turn the other cheek when the same situation with the same person keeps happening over and over? When can I stop trying to be "the bigger person", "the nice guy", "the peacemaker"?

I am seriously pissed off. Can you tell?

Today's listening need to try to get me to calm down: Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

No comments: