Sunday, December 05, 2004

Game, Set and Match

I am always astounded by the creativity and innovations children are capable of and that most adults have lost.

My son and I played a game this morning that he invented and is based on chess. He added two more pawns and a new piece that emulates the queen and the knight. He also took away one bishop and replaced it with a piece that has the same moves but can only go forward. He then replaced one rook with a piece that can only be moved side to side. He’s also said that the only way to win is to capture all the other players’ pieces.

My favourite part though is that we play on the living room floor so the “board” is only limited by furniture and walls.

It certainly makes for a slightly more physical game as we are moving around the floor and contorting ourselves to reach distant pieces.

And a really cool part is that it forces us to expand our thinking and vision as we have pieces with new skills to use and keep an eye on.

I give thanks that there are still artists and musicians, writers and sculptors that can still tap into this ability and I wish I could still be this creative.

Today’s listening pleasure: Handel's Messiah

No comments: