Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Try

So it's been about a week now and I haven't read a newspaper. Not even glanced at it except to read the comics.

And guess what? I feel great!

I have enough stress at work and home without having to take on the additional pressure of bad news elsewhere. Does this mean I don't care about seismic issues or corruption in the corporate world or terrorism masquerading as religious will? Of course not. I care deeply. After all, I am part of humanity and what happens "out there" affects me as well. But it was starting to influence my behavior; actually, I was letting it influence me much too deeply. Now that I have backed off, I can attempt to learn to ingest stressful news without letting it affect or influence me.

The attempt is what matters ultimately. The try.

No comments: