Thursday, March 10, 2005

Emptied to Fill Up

Overdosing on Keith Jarrett music lately (yet again). I've been listening to much of his live solo work. The fact that this is totally improvised music and he is able to create such beauty for seemingly hours on end is just... magnificent. I'm jealous and quite envious of his ability. Oh I know that his natural ability has been honed by years of practice and discipline, practice that most of us never achieve but it’s just easier to say I’m jealous of some inborn mastery rather than admitting I should be working much harder at my own disciplines.

My understanding of his way of working is that he prepares for the concert by totally emptying himself of thoughts, ideas and pre-conceived notions. Once he feels emptied, he is able to sit at the piano, take in the atmosphere of the concert hall and audience, his own emotional state (and how successful he has emptied himself), and allow these elements to bring forth the music that, Jarrett says, is constantly around us.

Whatever he does resonates with me and during certain passages I literally get goose bumps.

Sublime stuff.

No comments: