Sunday, May 01, 2005

Time Dilation

It was 100 years ago this year that Einstein published his theory of special relativity. One of the consequences of this theory is that as you get closer to moving at the speed of light, time slows down. This is also known as time dilation.

I once had a conversation with my spouse about time seeming to be going much faster for us since the children were born. It really does seem to go faster because, ironically, we're not taking the time to enjoy the time.

I;ve said it before and I'll probably go on saying it. In fact many, many others far cleverer than I have said it as well and in far superior ways. Live in the present moment. Make each second pass as though it were your last second and I guarantee you that time will slow down until it seems like forever. No need for a special spaceship.

No comments: