Monday, January 31, 2005

Good Times, Bad Times

What's the old saying; stop the world I want to get off?

Reading the newspaper every morning I realize now puts me in quite a horrid mood. Here I am trying to start the day and seeing only bad or worse headlines with my breakfast cereal. My son recently had to do a project for school where he had to look at the newspaper and find one good/inspiring story and one bad/disaster type story and contrast them (where they were placed in the paper, the tone of the news etc.) We were very hard pressed to find any "good" stories.

I am going to try to stop reading the paper in the mornings (except for the comics) to see if it makes my outlook any brighter. It may be seen as closing my eyes to the suffering in the world, but I find I am almost hungering after these types of stories. I am like those spectators at car accidents, unwilling to leave the scene. Once the bizarre need to see these stories lessens, as I don't think it totally disappears, then I'll start up again

No comments: